Tips For Sleeping With Sciatica
Here are some quick tips to help get a better nights sleep when you are coping with back pain or sciatic pain. Below are the simple and easy Do's and Don'ts.
Many may seem obvious but many of us break one or all of these at some time! Give you r self a chance and see if sticking to these tips makes a difference for you .
- DoKeep your bedroom a place of peace and relaxation, sleep or intimacy only.
- Do have No lights or very low light.
- Do Keep the temperature comfortable for you.
- Do Ensure you have a very comfortable supportive mattress.
- Do Have a very comfortable supportive pillow for your head
- Do Have pillows or specialist support wedges for your legs and hips.
- Do Consider a Full Body Sleep Pillow to assist you to sleep in the correct, comfortable position.
- Do Check out different sleep positions and see what suits you best.
- Do Keep to the same routine before you go to bed. It prepares your brain and body for sleep.
- Do Play relaxing or meditation music while you are in bed so you can drift off to sleep listening to it.
- Do have a warm bath about an hour before you go to bed.
- Do have a gentle massage before you go to sleep.
- Do your Back pain exercises about 20 mins before you go to bed.
Free book by The Healthy Back Institute.
Why traditional treatments may not be working. Seven mistakes that keep people in pain
How to identify the root causes of your back pain.Treatments to consider for your back pain issues
- Don' t go to bed too close after having a bath,or doing any exercises. Your body needs to cool down a little before you get into bed. About at least 30-60 minutes is good.
- Dont drink too much too close to bedtime or you will be pacing to the bathroom all night!
- Dont drink alcohol if you have sleep difficulties, it may well send you to sleep but you will not get the quality of sleep and you may wake up during the night.
- Don't Watch disturbing or exciting films just before sleep.
- Do not do any work and switch off all computers, ipads etc at least 2 hours before bed, and do not work while in bed.
Full body pillows can give very good support to help to align the spine and hips to assist more relaxed and comfortable sleep.